LIVE VIDEO: WTLV Live Video_1    Watch

Community Groups Receive Grants to Help Fight Breast Cancer

12:11 PM, Jun 2, 2009   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Jacksonville, FL - The North Florida Affiliate of the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation recently provided community grants totaling over $300,000.00 to support North Florida breast health education, breast cancer screening and treatment programs.

The community grants for the upcoming April 1, 2009 - March 31, 2010, Grant Year are: 

* Baptist Medical Center
Breast Cancer Education, Mammography, thru Core Biopsies, along with funds for transportation. This program targets low-income, uninsured, rural, minority and elderly women.

* Baptist Cancer Institute
Heredity Breast Cancer Risk Assessment and Genetic Testing for underserved, underinsured and uninsured women in Northeast Florida

* Nassau County Health Department
Breast Cancer Education and breast exams 

* St. Vincent's Medical Center
Mammography Services and Biopsies for uninsured and underinsured women and working with minority populations utilizing their Mammogram Mobile. There is also funding for transportation in this grant. 

* Baker County Health Department
Breast Cancer Screening for low-income women in Baker County 

* Volunteers in Medicine
Providing Mammograms thru Core Biopsies for underinsured, working citizens of Duval County. 

* Donna Foundation
Caring for Women Living with Breast Cancer by providing financial help

* The Way Free Clinic
Providing mammograms, breast health education and other services for the uninsured, underinsured and minority populations in Green Cove Springs.

* Flagler Health Care Foundation
Breast Health Education, mammograms thru core biopsies, (if necessary) for the citizens of St. Johns County.

Sponsoring two Speaking of Women Health Series, Breast Health Education 

* Buddy Check 12
Breast Health Education 

* Sisters Network of Northeast Florida
Co-Sponsor Breast Health Symposium for women of color.

The Komen North Florida Affiliate's local fundraising efforts, such as the Komen North Florida Race for the Cure, Row for the Cure, Laugh for the Cure and others, have enabled it to fund such programs for the underserved population. Of the money raised at all North Florida Affiliate events, up to 75 percent stays in the local community to fund these programs. Remaining net income (a minimum of 25 percent) supports the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Award and Research Grant Program, which funds groundbreaking breast cancer research, meritorious awards and educational and scientific programs around the world.

It is important to note that over the past 25 years, Susan G. Komen for the Cure has contributed more than 1 billion dollars to research and we are proud to say the every significant breakthrough in the fight against breast cancer was touched by Komen dollars.

The 2009 North Florida Race for the Cure is scheduled for Saturday, October 17, 2009, at Metropolitan Park in downtown Jacksonville.

Most Watched Videos